With each new model of Apple computers, there have been improvements in the software as well as more efficient chips. In addition, there are many settings added to the OS X operating system in the new MacBook Pro Retina that helps in getting the best out of the battery. Here are some amazing tips that will allow you to maximize the use of battery even further –
- Batter Percentage Indicator – One feature that you should enable on your MacBook Retina is the battery percentage indicator that will make it easier for you to monitor it. To enable this feature, you need to click on the battery icon on the top right-hand corner of the menu bar and then click on “Show percentage” option.
- Check the Condition of the Battery – To check the battery condition, you need to hold the option key on the keyboard and simultaneously click on the battery icon at the top of the menu bar. If it shows “Normal” battery rating, it is working fine. But, if you see a “Replace” soon warning, you will need to change the battery. You can find MacBook Pro Retina parts in stock at many places. The website I linked in the previous sentence have some how to videos too if you need help.
- Install Software Updates – Make sure that your MacBook have the latest software at all times. Keep checking for updates every once in a while by clicking on the Apple logo in the menu bar and then selecting the “Software Update” option. You can also go to the App Store and the click on “Updates” tab.
- Dim the Display – Just like on your mobile, dimming the LCD screen display can help you save a lot of battery life. When you disconnect the power cord, dim the brightness to a suitable level for your eyes. To do that, you need to use the F1 and FN button together. You can also disable the MacBook’s auto brightness feature by going to System Preferences, selecting Display and unchecking “Automatically adjust brightness” box.
- Disable Backlit Keyboard – All Apple computers have a backlit keyboard. While this is great when you are typing in the dark, it can also drain your battery very fast. To disable this feature, press and hold the F5 key. To turn it on again, press and hold F6.
- Turn Off Bluetooth – Chances are that you will not be using much of the Bluetooth option on the 13-inch or 15-inch MacBook Pro. Make sure you disable the Bluetooth when it is not in use. To turn off the Bluetooth, go to System Preferences, click on Bluetooth and select the off button.
- Unplug the Unused Dongles – If you are not actively using the USB connected device, it is best to unplug them from the computer to save battery life. You should also limit charging your smartphone or the tablet using your MacBook to avoid draining your battery.
- Quit All Applications that Are Not in Use – It is best to close the applications after using them. You can close them by pressing the Command key and Q key at the same time. You can also click on individual program and then select the “Quit” option.
Make sure you do keep clean your MacBook once in a while and not let dust collect over it. Using your computer optimally will allow you to use your computer for longer period without any issue about the battery.